|Job Type||Permanent Full Time|
|Sector||Design - Sketch Designer|
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To oversee, manage and lead Exterior design proposals in the UK Design team specifically for Advanced Design Programmes with scope to also support Product Programmes
• Lead the UK Exterior Design team to ensure proper conditions for delivering outstanding results and achieve expectations. Set clear timeframes and objectives and ensure capabilities are continually improved upon.
• Accurate and creative interpretation of product plan and brand strategy and subsequent translation into coherent product proposals
• Sponsorship and execution of innovative and desirable exterior product proposals. Delivered in the appropriate creative form for effective communication of concept and idea to management for review and approval.
• Have ownership of all aspects of exterior design to include proportion, surface language, detail component, identity and graphic.
• Provide creative project leadership and direction to a team of Designers, Alias modellers, Clay Modellers, supporting Engineers and Suppliers engaged in the creation of feasible 3D data and design properties which satisfy the approved design brief.
• Integrate and collaborate with other sections of the Global Design team to develop strategies and innovation for Exterior Design concepts and to develop a coherent and consistent brand message.
• Responsible for the development, integrity and release of product surfaces ensuring that the intent of the approved style is never compromised.
• Responsible for the leadership, management and development plan of team resources.
• Overall accountability for the quality and integrity of the work results.
• Overall accountability for the effective operation and ongoing development of the Function.
• Promote safety and safe working practices within the Studio ensuring compliance to the relevant Health and Safety at Work Act
SCOPE OF THE JOB
• Day to day management and creative leadership to a multi-national team of designers
• Clear communication of objectives and timeframes for the team, ensuring targets are met
• Ensure appropriate allocation of resources to each task
• Use of all and any available ‘start of the art’ design techniques and technologies to develop design proposals
• Use of Photoshop for creating appropriate presentation renderings
• Ensuring all 3D model generation conforms to approved package and feasibility data
• Ensuring all model creation is performed to the satisfaction of the Design management
• High quality presentation of all work in the appropriate graphic presentation media.
• Effective leadership of an multi-national design team to deliver imaginative and feasible style proposals
• Establish counterpart relationships with colleagues in other SAIC Design Studios, with particular focus on China
• Cascade of relevant company information and promote the targets of the business to team members
• Exchange information and delivery of materials to counterparts in China
• Reports directly to the UK Head of Design and UK Design Director
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
• Well developed leadership skills and the ability to inspire a team of designers, digital and clay modellers and engineers to deliver the design brief objective
• Significant experience in Automotive Design- at least 10 years experience within OEM environment, operating preferably at an international level
• A sound knowledge of all available 3D design and modelling techniques
• Excellent Creative Ideas Generation
• Able to make design input with benefit of 3D experience.
• Excellent IT skills & experience of appropriate software applications (Photoshop)
• The ability to operate in multi cultural environment requiring patience & understanding
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of design process
• Excellent communication skills with design team and senior product development and corporate management
• Totally flexible, committed and motivated to deliver in all circumstances, within a small local team environment or internationally located design studio.
• Extensive understanding and experience of working with engineering and packaging data
• An awareness of underlying engineering principles and prerequisites
• Highly developed organisational & prioritisation skills.
• Design for Six Sigma knowledge or qualification required – full training will be provided by the company
RELATING TO PEOPLE EXTERNALLY
• Working with third party agents to support project activities as required, at time at supplier location
• Build relationships with Design Schools and Universities across Europe to promote the client and collaborate on projects
• Represent the client and Global Design function in any external activity and engagement
RELATING TO PEOPLE INTERNALLY
• Close working relationship with the Interior Chief Designer, Design Operations Chief and Strategy sections to collaborate on whole vehicle concept and brand and project delivery.
• Working with all Project Leaders and the Modelling Manager and Design Manager.
• Interface with SDE and other senior members of the client in the UK as well as in Shanghai.
HOURS OF WORK
The client operates a Flexitime policy, where core hours are Monday to Thursday 09:00am to 3:30pm and Friday 09:00am to 12:00pm. Employees are required to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, based on a working week of Monday to Friday.
• The job title/ description does not define or limit the work that you are employed to do and you may be required to do any work within your capacity which the Employer from time to time requires including transfers between departments.
• Your Job description may be altered by the Employer from time to time, either through business needs or to comply with Government legislation. Any such alteration will be notified to you in writing prior to implementation and an amended document issued.
• You may be required in the performance of duties or training to travel to such place or places in the United Kingdom or abroad, as the Employer reasonably requires.
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.