|Job Type||Permanent Full Time|
Our client based in East Yorkshire are looking for a 3D Design Director to join their team.
DEPARTMENT: Advanced Design
REORTING TO: Design Director
JOB TITLE: 3D Creative Designer
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To work closely with all members of the Advanced Design team, to support and create new designs for caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes, producing innovative design solutions that are desirable, functional, reliable, lightweight and commercial, thereby enhancing the company’s reputation for design and technical leadership. Using Design tools, such 3D CAD and VR to develop designs that are aesthetically appealing and well executed. The Creative Designer must be able to resolve problems and recommend innovative robust design solutions and remedies that deliver against the strict targets of cost, weight, complexity, quality and timing. All new design solutions and updates are to be simple in their design, robust in their function and practical in their assembly, use and application. The designer must consider the customer at all times. The Creative Designer will be expected to manage assigned projects using tools and techniques within the department, and seek every opportunity to improve operational processes and efficiency.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop new designs for exterior and interior projects for caravans and motorhomes.
- Select materials that are practical and cost effective.
- Ensure that assemblies, sub-assemblies and individual parts are designed for and are suitable for manufacture.
- Deliver CAD design solutions that are accurate, unambiguous & on time in line with agreed plans
- Generate high quality visualisations for both internal (i.e. design reviews) and external use (i.e. brochure shots)
- Work with the teams designers and engineers to deliver robust commercial design solutions
- Manage multiple projects while maintaining project deadlines and deliverables
- Drive continuous improvement within the department by improving modelling and visualisation workflows
- Keep up-to date with the latest hardware and software technologies and latest trends and techniques for 3D modelling and visualisation.
- To perform other duties as required and directed by line management
- Maintain suitable and safe levels of housekeeping at all times within the working environment, including all walkway areas / including systems housekeeping.
- Actively support the team ethos by positively working with others.
- Be familiar with, and adhere to, company policies and procedures.
- Meet your health & safety responsibilities and co-operate with management to achieve a healthy and safe workplace, taking reasonable care of yourself and others.
The above are the principal tasks for the post and, if deemed necessary and in consultation with the postholder, may be subject to amendment at a future date to comply with the operational demands of the company.JOB CONTEXT AND KEY CHALLENGES:
- To drive creativity and innovation
- To design with consideration to customer use and ergonomics
- To design for ease of manufacture
- To design within the constraints of commercial restrictions, but to challenge where appropriate
- To design products that reduce product cost, weight & complexity.
- To maximise product modularity (minimising complexity) and promote good design disciplines and technical excellence.
- To ensure that designs comply with the required legislation and type approval requirements.
- To provide the rest of the company with expertise and technical support.
- To manage, minimise and report on risks and threats to the products and projects.
- Support the delivery of technical work, through the ‘new NPI’ process, gateway reviews and by supporting operational processes.
- Working in a team of Designers and Engineers of varying levels of experience
- As part of the 10-strong Design team
- Supporting a 60 person Product Development Department (40 office based, 20 building prototyes)
- Feeding a 600 employee production environment Across three manufacturing sites
- Our product range is expanding year on year, currently featuring
- 50 caravan layouts across 10 ranges
- 40 Motorhome layouts across 7 ranges
- 40 Holiday home layouts across 10 ranges
- Plus ‘dealer special’ variants of many of the above
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCEAcademic Qualifications:
Skills & Experience:
- Automotive Design, Industrial Design, Product Design or equivalent qualification to Degree level
- Relevant experience of design in the caravan, automotive or related industry.
- Qualifications or training in the use of 2D illustrative software Adobe Photoshop
- Qualifications or training in the use of 3D CAD software Autodesk Alias Design
- Qualifications or training in the use of 3D CAD rendering software Autodesk VRED
- Experience of tooling an advantage
- Awareness of technical advances in relevant areas, including new materials developments & weight saving techniques.
- Comfortable working in cross-functional teams, including experience of working with suppliers on collaborative projects.
- Ability to work under pressure, to project deadlines, whilst maintaining adherence to process disciplines.
- Familiarity with gateway management disciplines.
- Experienced in communicating with external suppliers & service providers.
- Knowledge of best practice engineering & design tools & techniques.
- Strong verbal & written communication & reporting skills.
- Experienced in dealing with peers, project stakeholders & senior management.
- Flexible, adaptable, enthusiastic
- Meet your Health & Safety responsibilities as defined in the Health & Safety Policy.
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.